The UB Toner Blog
Spring to-dos 0
Here we are again - time to change our clocks and wardrobes and trade in our winter jackets and boots for sweaters and cute open-toed shoes. But there’s something special about this particular season change, unlike the cold breezes of fall and the inevitable dreariness that winter brings, springtime promises a sense of renewed anticipation - the guarantee of ever-growing days, warmer weather and the lazy days of summer just around the corner.
It’s an exciting time of year and with it comes a lift in our energy levels and a chance to renew both our physical spaces and our bodies. Not sure where to start, don’t worry we’ve got you covered.
Here are 5 things to Focus your Health and Fitness efforts on this Spring:
- Spring clean with essential oils. What better way to say spring then with the refreshing scents of lemon, grapefruit, lavender or orange. Staying away from the chemicals that store-bought cleaners contain is great for our bodies, not to mention the health benefits you may actually receive from using nature’s great-smelling products. A quick search on Pinterest or Google will have you making and creatively using your own cleaning products in minutes.
- Commit to consume more local foods. While some climates don’t allow for us to graze off the lands we live in the colder months of the year, the warm breezes of spring remind us that eating local is possible and in the best interest of our health. Seasonal fruits and vegetables offer more flavour and value for your wallet. This spring, visit your local supermarket or farmer’s market and treat yourself to the produce that was out-of-season or too costly to purchase all winter.
- Venture outside. No one can argue the benefits of plain old walking. It is great for your cardiovascular system and burns calories. To keep it exciting, make an effort to change up your route each time you get out and explore areas of your neighbourhood you’ve never noticed before. Walk, rather than drive, to run your local errands, take your kids to soccer or get your morning coffee. Your body will appreciate not only the exercise it is getting but also all the extra fresh air.
- Mediate to de-stress. You don’t have to commit to large amounts of time to set aside to focus on clearing your mind and paying attention to your breathing, even a few minutes every hour can be enough to de-stress. What does matter is giving yourself these undivided moments throughout the day to clear your mind. Find moments throughout your busy day to sit in silence, close your eyes and focus on pulling breaths of air down into your belly. Start slow and you will begin to experience a more calming attitude and increased focus on your daily tasks, in no time.
- Commit to a quick 10 minute daily exercise routine. Can anyone of us really say that we can’t find an extra 10 minutes in our day?. If we start with a small goal of adding only 10 minutes - over the course of the week this could equate into over an hour of additional exercise (and up to 500 extra calories burned)! It takes 21 days to create a habit, so committing to just 10 minutes daily early on in the spring season will get you on the right track. Some days you may even find the time and energy to dedicate more time. Examples of quick, effective 10 min workouts that can be done anywhere can be found here.
Image credit to Rohantime.
- Christina Crowe
The Power of Sharing Works. 0
We are knee deep in the month of February. The month known to celebrate love and companionship. As part of our tribute to the month of love, we ran a contest this month that awarded the lucky winner a new UB Toner. Many of you who visit this blog, already own a UB Toner and are therefore aware of all of its upper body firming benefits, but have you shared these benefits with the ones you love?
Getting fit is always easier when you get your friends involved. It holds you accountable, adds a social element to your workouts and helps you stay on track. Using the UB Toner and it’s accompanying exercise routines to tone your upper body is no exception - it’s much more fun when get your friends involved!
Since the UB Toner is a portable fitness device that can be used virtually anywhere, this might mean incorporating one of the 10 minute exercise routines into your regular coffee date with a friend. Or perhaps it simply entails sending others a picture or text message of your recent workout, encouraging (or maybe friendly challenging) them to try it out for themselves.
Workout apps such as RunKeeper, Nike+, Aptiv Fitness and even the Fitbit tracker all allow for the ability to “share” your recent workout or health goal. The popularity of this feature lies in the fact that seeing your friend’s progress is motivating - for all parties involved. The one who has shared their progress feels good about the fact that they are putting their health first and finds comfort in the positive comments they may receive from doing so, whereas those who view the post may be inspired to embark on their own fitness journey, conquer that workout they have been putting off all day or make a better choice in the kitchen that evening.
The power of sharing works.
And, although you may never know if you succeeded in inspiring others, wearing your own fitness accomplishments with pride feels good, which is a huge part of why we have entered on this fitness journey in the first place.
Image via Getty Images.
- Ian Templin
Imagine if.. 0
If there is anything 2016 has taught us, it’s that life is busy. The latest technology trends are allowing us to cram more and more into each day. From apps that create meal plans, the ability to order our groceries online, to the extreme popularity of fitness trackers that remind us how active we have been for the day - times are changing. And the way we think about our sweat sessions, should be no exception.
Workout apps were named by Pop Sugar as one of the number one fitness trends to watch out for in 2017. As Pop Sugar writes “2017 users are needing convenient, do-whenever, wherever-you-are workouts”.
The creators of the popular Beachbody home fitness programs are keeping up with the times with their online program (think Netflix, but fitness). For an annual fee you get access to stream their fitness programs from anywhere in the world, making it virtually inexcusable to miss a workout.
And that’s how exercise should be.
Fast, easy and something we make part of our DAILY routines, no matter where we are or what we are doing. Much like our bodies crave nourishment and sleep, they also require themselves to be worked, each and every day! But, this doesn’t have to be overwhelming.
Imagine if we stopped thinking about fitness as a “nice to do” and began to think about it as a “have to do”. Gyms and group fitness classes are a great way to socialize, switch up our routines and have some fun, but they can’t be relied upon to fulfil the fitness needs our bodies require on a daily basis. It just isn’t realistic for most people.
These are the philosophies that I used when I created the UB Toner and why I have successfully been able to make using it a part of my daily routine. Whether it be used as a warm-up to my golf game, something I do before I take my dogs for a walk or a prequel to my run, the UB Toner is there to contribute 10 quick minutes of exercise into my routine each day.
I don’t believe fitness is something we need to “resolve” to do each January or take on for a set period of time - it’s simply a part of my daily life.
Are you ready to join our community and “resolve” not to have to resolve anymore?
UB Toner Creator and Founder
- Ian Templin
Wait until you see what we have in store... 0
We’ve had nothing short of an amazing year here at UB Toner - and we’re happy to say we’re just getting started.
We have so much more planned for our product and our community in 2017. We’re endlessly thankful to have each and every one of you here with us - it really does mean the world to have the opportunity to share the gift of health with you.
We’re pleased to announce changes to our social media pages - with the hopes of being able to provide you with more information than ever before. We’ll tell you all about more ways to use the device, more health and wellness tips, you’ll be the first to know about all of our future sales and promotions and we even have some exciting contest we can’t wait for you to take part in. We look forward to growing our community into a place where we all can discuss the healthy lifestyles we are living. So follow along, and invite your friends too. We’ll be right there beside you as you tackle those exciting new year's health and fitness resolutions.
From us to you, and from our families to yours, Happy Holidays. We’ll see you in 2017, and it’s going to be a great year.
- Ian Templin
Have you gotten out of your comfort zone today? My personal experience as a participant on CBC’s “The Dragon’s Den” 0
To be chosen to appear on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s (CBC) Dragon’s Den (The Canadian version of Shark Tank for our American friends) last month, was an incredible honour. The CBC is a massive Canadian broadcaster - and Dragon’s Den is one of it’s major primetime programs. Every year, thousands of entrepreneurs pitch their products and ventures to the show’s selection committee across the country. Only a select few ever make it to the show floor - and when I had the chance to feature the UB Toner for a shot towards getting on the show, I knew I had to take that chance - even if it meant throwing myself out of my comfort zone.
During the audition and product pitch, the show’s producers loved the UB Toner - they had smiles on their faces the entire time I demonstrated the device to them. It’s strange, I wasn’t as nervous as I expected myself to be. Although I suppose my strong belief in the product I was pitching helped considerably. I left with a good feeling in my gut - and sure enough, several weeks later, the email I was so hoping for came. I had gotten a spot on the show.
I was going to be pitching to the Dragons on national television. The Dragons are all self-made millionaires - and they invest in products they see a good business opportunity in. My feelings ranged from initial excitement to worry, I was no stranger to educating people on the benefits of the UB Toner, but what I wasn’t accustomed to, was doing this in front of millions of people on national television! This was a BIG deal for me. What drew me most to the opportunity was the fact that it was something I had never done before. I believe we have to do that to ourselves sometimes. It’s good for our minds to shake things up and prove to ourselves we can do things we never thought possible. This wasn’t just about featuring the product for me, it was a personal journey as well.
On came the big day. The sets for the show were massive and intricate, the number of cameras were too many to count. But I stood up there and I spoke with all my heart and soul about a product I knew and loved.
Being able to promote a healthy lifestyle through my work with the UB Toner team is something I am extremely proud of.
Being healthy isn’t just about exercising our bodies. It’s about exploring the limitations of our minds too.
What have you done to thrust yourself out of your comfort zone lately?
- Lise Amy, UB Toner Founder
- Ian Templin