Did you know November is Sweet Potato Awareness Month? 3
Fun Facts about November
- It is the last month of the Fall season
- November in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to May in the Southern Hemisphere
- American football is the main sport watched in the United States during this month
- Most of the leaves have fallen off the trees by the end of November
- In the USA, November is sweet potato awareness month AND good nutrition month-now there’s a win-win!
November makes me think of, well, honestly, Thanksgiving dinner! I have been waiting all year for this meal! I am lucky enough to have a daughter who loves to cook and will be hosting the festivities in her new house this year. All I know for sure is there will be pecan cheesecake and extra UB Toner exercises!
I have been on a mission to be healthier this year. With healthy eating and working out, I have lost 20 lbs and feel great! Temptations are put in front of me every day…donuts at work, Halloween candy by the truck loads, impromptu lunch dates, etc.
I do indulge once in a while. I never want to say, “No, I can’t have that” because I would feel deprived; everything in moderation is my moto. This is my plan for Thanksgiving dinner. I will have some of everything, I will enjoy it, and I will not feel guilty about it.
So, if you are looking for something a little healthier for your holiday dinner, and since November is sweet potato awareness month, why not try something new? Here are a few tips to make your sweet potato casseroles healthier.
- You can cut the butter back without sacrificing flavor by adding even more flavorful ingredients. Try honey, orange zest, ground ginger, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Marshmallows are OK if you don't use too many. But if you want a topping with less sugar, try a simple topping of nuts, seeds and dried fruit to add texture and sweetness without any added sugar. Or opt for a homemade crumb topping with whole-wheat flour, brown sugar and a little butter. If you can't part with marshmallow topping but want something less processed, making a meringue topping—it has all the flavor and sweetness of marshmallows and it's prettier too!
- To keep the calories reasonable, start with a smaller amount of potatoes. Plan for about a 1/2 cup serving size for each person, which is plenty, especially considering all the other food on the menu.
Have a wonderful November and Happy Thanksgiving!