5 Ways to Stay Motivated to Keep Fit this Summer
Oh June, what a beautiful, wet (for some) and wondrous month!. In our part of the world, June signals a favorite beginning for many; the beginning of summer! If you have children who are in school and sports, I am willing to bet June (right alongside it’s cousin September) might be one of your busiest times of year. Final dance recitals, swim meets, piano lessons, t-ball games and of course the last days of school are all crammed into 2 crazy weeks, with endless celebrations, good-byes, graduations and parties. We cram it all in, dreaming of those dog days of summer until suddenly...it’s here...and we go from busy to, well, a whole lot of glorious nothing.
If you’re anything like me, sometimes going from everything to nothing has an affect on my motivation. Being busy drives us to schedule, plan and commit and when it comes to our fitness routines, this is what works best for many. The “lazy” nature that summertime can bring, can sometimes allow that routine-free freedom to creep it’s way right into our own self-care. But, it doesn’t have to be that way.
Here are 5 great ways you can keep fitness top of mind this summer, so you can sail into the fall feeling refreshed, rejuvenated and healthy!
- Pair up! Summer is all about mingling with friends and family, why not make fitness a part of your get-togethers? Ask a friend to go on a walk in the morning before you start your day or commit to a weekly fitness class, where you invite a new family member each week (it’s a great excuse to connect with those we don’t see enough).
- Get outside. When the weather warms up, the last thing we want to do is spend time indoors, so find ways to bring fitness outside instead. Run outdoors, instead of on a treadmill, bring your free weights out to the backyard or do yoga in the park. Nothing feels like work, when your simultaneously working on your tan right?
- Incorporate Fitness Into your family vacation plans. Bring your bikes on your next camping trip, explore the city you are visiting by foot or make running on the beach a family affair
- Who doesn’t like a good challenge? If you have kids, challenge them to choose an activity where you'll get your heart rate up for at least 60 minutes each day (let each kid choose the activity to keep them motivated). If you don’t have kids, try this challenge with your spouse or a friend. The possibilities are endless.
- Use UB Toner. And of course we couldn’t end our list without incorporating our favorite, on-the-go workout device, UB Toner! We all know how hard it can be to schedule in gym time, not to mention factoring in the time it takes to drive to and from. Instead, why not work-out in the comfort of your own home or backyard? Combine UB Toner’s upper body workout with some lunges, squats and planks and you’ve got yourself a full-body workout! Bonus, you can incorporate UB Toner into any of the suggestions listed above! You’re welcome; we’ve already got you started!
From everyone at UB Toner, we wish you a relaxing, restful and healthy summer!
- Christina Crowe